Day 1 – Oxford to Goodwood

Finally, after packing, vacuuming and moving the entirety of Anand’s house into storage, we dropped off all his remaining things (semi-frozen food, crock pot, microwave, damp towels and a dirty bathmat) with his unwitting friend Marianne. She was a very good sport about the unexpected bounty. Anand rushed between Marianne’s house and the car while attempting to both convince her of the joys of the crock pot and relay vague technical directions for its use. Who doesn’t love a nice warming stew in the summer months?

We then hit the road to Goodwood, a renowned car racing track in the South of England (though you wouldn’t know it from the lack of signage). We drove around the English countryside for about an hour asking directions, rolling into Goodwood in typical CBPG style around 2:30pm (the launch was only scheduled until 3). We went to the Media tent, picked up Anand’s passport, stickers for our car, and T-shirts, and headed back to the car to give it a cleaning and apply the decals.

Jessie and Anand are excited

Jessie and Anand are excited

Half-way through applying our stickers, the marshal came over and let us know we’d missed our chance to take a lap at the track. Unfazed, we headed on to Dover for the ferry to France. We rolled through lovely English seaside villages like Brighton and Rye, saw the white cliffs of Dover, ate some Burger King, and hopped aboard the ferry across the channel to Calais.

It rained steadily on the night drive to Brussels and our plan was to find either a cheap hotel outside of Brussels or a field that didn’t look too damp to set up our tent. As we drove and drove along the E40 past Brussels and Liége there didn’t appear to be any obvious opportunities for lodging. On we drove, stopping at gas stations and bars, turning on dirt roads looking for a camp site, and observing fake cows that turned out to be real. Eventually, all the way back in Liége, we found a hotel, booked a room, and promptly passed out on the smallest single beds ever seen (one of which was miraculously shared by Jessie and Sarah). It was 3 AM.

Comments are closed.